Become a Volunteer
All our programs, workshops and events are supported by a team of incredibly talented and generous volunteers.
We constantly need volunteers for a variety of events on weekdays and weekends. Volunteer duties typically include: greeting visitors, checking in guests, setting up chairs and tables, serving beverages, gallery watch, answering questions, assisting instructors and craft participants (children and adults), coat check, and general clean up. We occasionally need volunteers for administrative tasks or special projects in the office too. We'd love to hear from you! Join our volunteer roster. Email: email@example.com.
The Museum of Craft and Design seeks out qualified candidates who are passionate about contemporary craft and design. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Please note: The Development Director position has been filled. Thank you for your interest.
The following positions are currently open:
Title: Museum Store Manager
Supervisor: Executive Director
Employment Status: Full time | Exempt
About the Museum of Craft and Design: The Museum of Craft and Design (MCD) actively explores the role of craft and design in everyday life. MCD opened its doors in the fall of 2004 as a non-collecting institution and has recently reopened in its new location this spring in the historic Dogpatch neighborhood of San Francisco.
Job Summary: Oversee the planning and operation of the Museum Store with attention to maximizing profitability while furthering the Museum's mission. Work closely with Executive Director to purchase and consign inventory and merchandise museum store. Supervise front of house to ensure a positive visitor experience. Participate in the Museum's budget development process and monitor day-to-day management of the Museum Store budget to ensure positive impact on MCD's overall operating budget. Supervise, train and recruit Museum Store staff. Manage ongoing relationships with vendors and artists. Work collaboratively with leadership, MCD staff, volunteers and community partners to ensure positive visitor experience.
Responsibilities: Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Develop annual Store budget and work within that budget
• Develop and manage customer service standards and practices guidelines
• Develop and manage inventory control standards and practices
• Develop and ensure adherence to policies and procedures related to Museum Store retail operations and admission desk operations
• Recruit, manage and train museum store and front desk staff
• Research, consign and/or purchase unique merchandise to ensure a fresh mix of contemporary craft and design at a variety of price points that reflect the Museum's mission, exhibitions and experiences
• Collaborate on the development of custom branded products that reflect MCD's identity and contribute to increasing MCD's visibility
• Consistently merchandising the store to ensure the best product placement and freshest visual appeal for museum patrons
• Oversee all aspects of the Museum Store's audit
• Manage special retail events throughout the year to increase earned revenue and raise MCD's visibility in the community
• Regularly maintain and update merchandise availability on MCD website
• Assist with visitor and revenue-producing areas of MCD, i.e. special events
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
The physical requirements described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand and walk; sit for long periods of time; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
• Knowledge of customer sales and service practices including: courteous interaction with visitors and clients; responsible decision-making with customer-related concerns; creating a welcoming environment and ensuring the safety of the Museum and its collections
• Knowledge of retail store management and visual merchandising
• Knowledge of computer operation and ability to use POS software
• Highly developed sense of design and strong knowledge of contemporary craft
• Excellent customer service skills
• Proven track record in strong retail sales
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Good writing and problem-solving skills
• Experience with POS system and data management required
• Strong knowledge of retail procedures and operations
• Organized and detail-oriented
• Ability to effectively communicate
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Ability to work with a diverse group
• Ability to manage day-to-day activities while focusing on long-term events and planning
• Ability to maintain retail records associated with inventory, personnel and sales data to include time sheets, leave, receipts and purchase orders, to prepare reports and monitor budget
• Bachelor's degree
• Minimum 3 years experience managing a museum store or comparable retail, art-focused store, including purchasing inventory, customer sales and service and budgeting
Other attributes and position requirements:
• An entrepreneurial attitude and the ability to work independently with limited supervision
• Intuitive and sensitive to other points of view
• Good judgment and common sense
• Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, evenings and special events
• Must have access to reliable vehicle as position may include some work-related transport.
Compensation and benefits:
• This is a salaried position with health benefits
To apply: Please submit a cover letter including salary history and a resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position will remain open until filled.
References will be required of finalists.
How to apply
To apply: Please submit a cover letter including salary history and a resume by email to email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled. Writing samples will be required of finalists as well as reference
MUSEUM STORE ASSOCIATES
Duties and requirements: Assist visitors with purchasing admission and merchandise in the Museum Store. Restock, tag, and display products in the store/storeroom as instructed by store manager. Must be reliable, friendly, trustworthy, interested in contemporary craft and design, and participate in Museum events as needed. Prior retail experience preferred. Mac savvy, quick learner. We use the Altru POS system. Position starts immediately, references required.
Hours: Tuesday thru Sunday, part-time, 11am - 6pm, must work some nights and weekends. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to 2569 Third St, San Francisco, CA 94107. No phone calls please.